Why Everyone Should Create an Open When Gift

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. I’m not the type to go out and celebrate the day with a romantic dinner and being in a relationship won’t change that. I do believe in always celebrating and appreciating the person you’re with regardless of what holiday it is. Having said that, I wanted to share with you the Christmas gift that lasted more than just one day that I sent to J.

Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means, that if you make a purchase through me, I may receive compensation at no extra cost to you. However, some items do offer cashback rewards. Only products and/or shops that are posted on Confessions of a Scorpio that appeal to or be of interested to readers will be featured. For more info please read my Disclosure policy.

I stumbled on this idea on Pinterest months ago and I always thought it was a cute idea and decided to put my own twist on it for J. Christmas and NYE was two holidays that we weren’t going to be able to celebrate together due to the distance but I wanted to make sure it was always Christmas for him.

By doing so, I wanted to create Open Whens for him to be able to open almost every day until the New Year. Here are some ideas of what I put together in the Open When Package:

Open When… you receive this package

A letter explaining the idea of the gifts and a Stitch keychain

Open When… it’s 11:11

He & I have always messaged each other when it’s 11:11 every day to make a wish. Luckily for us, due to our timezone differences, we are able to say it at least 4 times a day. I created a jar full of origami stars. It was my way of giving him a jar full of wishes. [Read the story behind the Japanese Origami Stars]

Open When… you feel unattractive

A letter telling him what I thought of him and what I attracted me to him. I also gave him a box of Orange CRUSH gummies to let him know he’ll always be my Crush.

Open When… we get into a fight

I painted a small box and filled it with cookies & cream Hershey’s kisses with “I’m Sorry” painted inside the box.

Open When… you’re feeling under the weather

I create a small medical kit to help him feel better whenever he’s feeling a little sick. Halls, Hot Lemonade Mix, Kleenex, Advil (for cold and flu) – you know, typical things you need when you feel a cold coming on.

Open When… it’s Dec 21

I bought him matching luggage tags for him to use on his first flight to Canada in Jan

Open When… you miss my face

I took a bunch of selfies with the instamax camera

Open When… you’re stressed and need to rage

I wrote a letter of encouragement and a stress ‘man’

Open When… it’s Christmas

Stussy t-shirt with a framed picture of us

Open When… it’s 12AM on NYE

I painted a small heart shaped box and put 1 chocolate Hershey’s Kiss inside. Considering I won’t be there physically to be his NYE Kiss, I still wanted to give him a kiss.

It took some time for me to get everything together and to ensure each one had a special meaning for the both of us. Thankfully, I was able to send it out to him in time to where he was able to enjoy them during the Christmas holiday.

At the end of the day, showing appreciation regardless of the holiday helps improve any relationship. You don’t need a hallmark card day to celebrate the relationship you’re in, every day should be a celebration.

• Reply Manon Keupink

What a great idea! Love this

February 8, 2016 at 9:35 AM
    • Reply Glenny D

OH thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to read it 🙂 xx

February 16, 2016 at 2:43 PM
  • Reply Antonio

This was a great idea! Now that I am living overseas and my wife is in the U.S. this is a great idea. Thank you so much and love your blog!! 🙂

February 8, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    • Reply Glenny

Thank you!!! Maybe you and your wife can try this one day. It’ll definitely help strengthen your relationship especially being overseas 🙂

February 9, 2016 at 2:13 AM
  • Reply Whole Food, Whole You

I love this idea! I did something like this for my husband when he was deployed. He loved it.

February 8, 2016 at 6:43 PM
    • Reply Glenny

It’s the small things that count right? 🙂 thank you for reading!

February 9, 2016 at 2:13 AM
  • Reply Emily Rose

I love this idea! And it’s easy to twist and make more personal to anyone’s relationship. Thanks for sharing!

February 9, 2016 at 4:24 AM
    • Reply Glenny D

🙂 thank you for taking the time to read !!! i appreciate it

February 16, 2016 at 2:44 PM
  • Reply Heather Dawn Sparrow

this is so sweet! I wish I had seen this earlier so I could do this for my husband on Valentines 🙂

February 9, 2016 at 5:23 AM
    • Reply Glenny D

awee! I definitely should’ve posted it earlier but I was waiting for him to get through most of it so it doesnt ruin the surprise! haha im sure youll be able to find a different occasion to use this idea 🙂 let me know if you do!

February 16, 2016 at 2:46 PM
  • Reply Brita

This is such a sweet idea! While I’m thrilled to be married and no longer long-distance with my husband, I wish I had seen this when we were dating long-distance.

February 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM
  • Reply Jennifer DeFrates/Heaven Not Harvard

1) My husband was the first one who told me about making a wish at 11:11 and it became our thing too, so much so that we got married on 11/11. 2) I love this idea!! I am going to start now to create some really great gifts for him! What a neat way to celebrate when he needs a pick me up or encouragement. We do anniversary, Christmas, then it’s his birthday and then Valentines. Then 8 mos of nothing for him. So giving him gifts that he can savor is a neat idea. I can’t wait to put this into practice!

February 10, 2016 at 5:38 PM
  • Reply Flight & Scarlet (@FlightScarlet)

I always love these ideas! I made my significant other Open When… letters last year for his birthday. The only problem is he forgets to read them! Thanks for sharing yours, they sound lovely 🙂

February 10, 2016 at 9:21 PM
  • Reply The Avg Girl Guide (@AvgGirlsGuide)

absolutely love this idea!

alyson

February 11, 2016 at 2:28 AM
  • Reply behindthereddoor

This is such a cute idea – wish I had the patience to create something similar! x

Erin | beingerin.com

February 11, 2016 at 9:31 AM
    • Reply Glenny

Haha, it took me a while for sure to jot the ideas down. At least a month. But if ever you do end up doing it I’m curious to know what you’ve come up with! xx

February 16, 2016 at 2:40 PM
  • Reply Barbs LeCupcake

This would be such a great idea for friends or family members too! If I’ll ever be a godmother I will definitely do it for the child 😉
    (random thought of the day haha)

Barbs

February 14, 2016 at 3:14 AM
    • Reply Glenny

Agreed! It’s definitely a great gift idea for any occasion and makes the receiver feel appreciated and loved! Let me know if ever you do end up doing this for someone one day!!! xx

February 16, 2016 at 2:39 PM
  • Reply Ninz

This is such a cool idea! Thank you for sharing!

Ninz

February 14, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    • Reply Glenny

Thank you for taking the time to read it!!! xx

February 16, 2016 at 2:38 PM