My anniversary with J also falls 2 months before the holidays and as we all know holiday gift shopping are just as hectic. If you’re like me, it can be tough trying to piece together something sentimental – especially when your significant other lives in another city. I’m always coming up with ideas on themes or ideas and refer to Pinterest as my go-to for resources, but I love making my gifts more personal. But here’s some ideas to help jump start your personalized gift!
*Some of the products in this post have been generously offered to Confessions of a Scorpio however, all opinions and product reviews are 100% honest and of my own. I do not offer payment for false product reviews. *
As corny as it sounds, J and I like to buy small things that match each other. For his birthday I gifted him a matching Lilo & Stitch tshirt (E.T. style) since we were going to spend the day in Disneyland. I purchased the shirts at TeeFury and received nothing but compliments! The reason behind the gift idea was simply because Lilo & Stitch related to our personalities. Can we guess who’s Stitch? And to see a design that can also grasp our love for old school movies (in this case, E.T.) was the icing on the cake.
This year for our anniversary, I received matching cases from Arla Laserworks. We’re both iphone 6 users and although we have disney matching cases, I decided to go for a wooden design. He’s the key to my lock. They laser engraved the key and the lock in black and it looks amazing with the wooden case. The idea was perfect. Arla Laserworks holds a huge collection of cases which allows customization that I even had a hard time trying to figure out what to get.
These packages are often very common in long distance relationships as it’s often easier to mail something out with a box full of goodies than it is to set up a date night – for the obvious reasons. But how can you make it more personalized?
- Box Full of Sunshine – Send a package full of yellow items. From candies to t-shirts. Anything goes, just as long as it’s yellow. Let’s be honest, sometimes this can be tough if you don’t know what you can include that is yellow.
- Open When – I created a box of open when cards for J for Christmas last year. It was definitely fun and created an opportunity for him to look forward to opening each ‘gift’. I made the open when envelopes as personalized as I could such as, “open when you finish lowla (his car).” and “open when it’s 11:11:” (as he always tells me it’s 11:11 so that I could make a wish).
- 5 Senses – Using your 5 senses (smell, touch, hear, sight & taste) there should be a corresponding gift along with each sense. I have seen people go super sensual by opening a lingerie with “sight” as something to look forward to on the next visit. Make it fun, make it creative and make it between you two.
Do it yourself items are often the most heartfelt. I personally love doing arts and crafts so for me to package something that I made especially for someone makes the gift more sentimental. You can create:
- Cards – Handmade cards are always super cute. Again, I use ideas from Pinterest but make them my own. I don’t often celebrate Valentine’s Day, but last year I decided to do a little something for him. You can check it out here.
- ABC of You – For our anniversary, I created him a little booklet of ABCs of why I love him/us. I made each letter represent something personal and meaningful. Like B was for Bubs. Which is the nickname I call him.
- Deck of Dates – I also created him 12 dates for each month. It was our little deck of dates that we both can look forward to once we close the distance. Each month had a certain date that we are to do that we both love to do. However on some dates such as March (his birthday) was specifically created just for him.
If you’re not the type of person who likes to create things, you can also resort to Etsy. I’ve found a lot of amazing artists on Etsy Tender Love Cardstock is one of them. Tender Love Cardstock my go-to when it comes to confetti, gift tags and cupcake toppers! I received so many compliments on the decor that this shop provided me when I hosted a bridal shower. I even used some of the confetti that this shop offers in my gift packages because who doesn’t need the extra glitter?
I’ve also resorted to Frances to create me some customized Lilo & Stitch Minnie ears. I’ve seen her work in cosplay and was super excited to see that she was offering to create Minnie ears so, I had to take the opportunity to do something for myself but highlight my relationship for our anniversary.
Also to celebrate our anniversary, J and I answer some Long Distance Relationship questions that some of my readers have asked. It was our first video together and figured it would be a great opportunity to grow my YouTube! Even blogging questions were asked. Unfortunately J was at loss for this but I was more than willing to share my answers! (You can even see the Minnie ears in action as I wore them in my video below).
No matter what gift you decide to give your loved ones, these ideas are not only meant for the holiday or for an anniversary but random heartfelt gifts are always a great way to show your love. But no matter what the occasion, just remember it’s always the small things that count to show your appreciation!