A Quick Trip To Ice Castles in Edmonton

Spring may have taken into effect for most of us but in Edmonton, we are known as Winter City. Having said this, a lot of people underestimate the local shindigs that this city has to offer. Regardless of the season. Back in February – when it was a lot colder – J and I decided to give Ice Castles a go!

It was both of our first times and decided to opt to go during the day when it was less crowded and the temperatures didn’t drop in the negatives.

Ice Castles is a Utah-based company that specializes in catering to these events handcrafted from ice. They magically transform 10,000 icicles a day into what looks like, Elsa’s playground. Each Ice Castle weighs about 25,000,000 pounds!!

The idea behind Ice Castles was originally crafted at the front of Brent Christensen’s lawn as he wanted to create a castle for his daughter. This was first created in Alpine, Utah and now Ice castles are also held in Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and Edmonton. Edmonton is the only Canadian location where you can freely enjoy these handcrafted Ice sculptures. Sorry, no pets allowed!

Ice Castles in Edmonton was held at William Hawrelak Park which is a 68-hectare park in the River Valley. It has 5 open lakes and lots of space for picnics and walks. This park often hosts huge festivities and events all throughout the year such as this and Heritage Days. Parking can be limited based on when you go but I’ve never had any issues trying to figure out where to park!

The lakes are turned into outdoor ice rinks and during the Ice Castles event, Silver Skate Festival is held around the same time. We weren’t fortunate enough to be able to experience Silver Skate ourselves, however, from what we’ve gathered it seems to be an amazing time.

As you walk out of the Ice Castles area you’ll notice ice statues all over the park. The statues were created as representations of the rich historic culture and price that Edmonton holds dearly!

• Reply Sandra Negron

omg! This looks breath taking! I never knew about this in Utah. Amazing!

May 8, 2017 at 3:19 PM
  • Reply behgopa

wow…stunning views! I’d love to visit and take some selfies at such a place. I am the same way when trying to find the best time to go when it’s less crowded. I can’t stake crowds!

May 9, 2017 at 2:47 AM
  • Reply JM Kayne

I’ve never been to any Ice castles, and this post of yours got me more and more curious how it is to be actually in such place! Looks pretty amazing, how many months does it stay?

God bless
    JM Kayne

May 9, 2017 at 9:04 AM
  • Reply Shasha

Wow! This place looks so awesome! I’d love to visit. That’s great that you and J went during the day to beat the crowds. It looks like you had the whole place to yourselves!

May 9, 2017 at 10:17 AM
  • Reply Candace

It takes some serious talent and patience to build something like this. 10,000 icicles a day?! That’s insane and awesome at the same time. I don’t think I’ve seen anything this creative!

May 9, 2017 at 6:35 PM
  • Reply Chrissy

This is seriously giving me some FOMO. I have to go here! x

May 9, 2017 at 8:32 PM
  • Reply thetravelpockets

I have never seen an ice castle and this is so awesome. I love that the idea came from a father who wanted to make it for his daughter. How sweet! I wish there was one of these in California, but I guess it just doesn’t get cold enough here in Southern Cali to do this. I’ll just have to make a trip to Edmonton 🙂

May 9, 2017 at 9:29 PM
  • Reply Esther

Wow! I had no idea ice castles like this existed. They look a little daunting and intimidating, but also hauntingly beautiful. Thanks for all the tips and photos–I’ve got to put this on my list now!

May 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM
  • Reply Planes, Trains and Champagne

Omg! This looks amazing! I would love to visit here! It must have been freezing!!!

May 10, 2017 at 8:33 AM
  • Reply Emily Hines

These are rad! Would love to check these out in person.

May 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM
  • Reply Toques and Boots: A Travel Blog

Wish these were in Calgary! Love the contrast between Lake Louise and their ice castle and Edmonton’s.

May 10, 2017 at 9:03 AM
  • Reply Alexandra Black-Paulick

I’ve never heard of this place, but holy cow it looks fantastic! Can I also say it looks like something out of the Chronicles of Narnia. How in the world did you find this gem?

May 10, 2017 at 9:04 AM
  • Reply valerie

Wow this is so ultra cool! I was born in Medicine Hat and my mom lives in Calgary, I never knew this even exsisted! I miss Canada so much!

May 10, 2017 at 10:27 AM
  • Reply The Wild Wayfarer

This place looks AMAZING!!!! I have never seen anything like it before!

May 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM
  • Reply Miranda Knudtson

I’ve heard of this one specifically in Edmonton before–but seeing the pictures NEVER get old. I feel like everyone takes slightly different pictures, and you get to see it in a new light each time. Thanks for sharing SO many pictures!

May 10, 2017 at 1:13 PM
  • Reply Megan Bannister

We visited the Ice Castles in Minnesota last year and absolutely loved them! It’s cool to see them in different locations around the world. Great video!

May 10, 2017 at 6:43 PM
  • Reply Beatrice Danseco

Amazing place! Are they open all year round?

May 11, 2017 at 3:19 AM
  • Reply nbosken

WOW … this is now on my list of places to see. It looks simply amazing! I would love to have some event or attend an event in it.

May 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM
  • Reply authenticfoodquest

Oh wow, how breathtaking….quite amazing! While it looks cold, the natural beauty is simply outstanding. Thanks for sharing your experience.

May 12, 2017 at 9:09 AM
  • Reply Bonita

I have never been in a ice castle, and these post got me curious and interested. The place looks amazing.

May 12, 2017 at 4:01 PM