Takami Sushi brings fresh flavors from Japan to Edmonton

*Disclosure: I was invited to dine at Takami Sushi. Views expressed in this post are solely mine. I will always provide my 100% honest and transparent opinion, the complimentary dinner did not impact my feedback.

Having to grow up and live in Vancouver, BC all my life – Japanese food has always been my number 1 go to. However, the only thing I will say that I have issues having is raw fish sushi. I know I know, being Filipino I should love eating fish – which I did at one point but now something with the taste and texture has leaned me off it. I still eat seafood like shellfish but fish is always the last option for me to eat.

Coming to Takami Sushi changed my mind.

Takami Sushi opened up not too long ago – about 6 months ago. The owner of the place wanted to bring fresh seafood to Edmonton, AB. As most know, Edmonton is an inland city so seafood is normally brought in frozen. However, Takami Sushi promises to import fresh seafood straight from Japan every Thursday. The best time to go is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Hiding in a bunch of industrial buildings just off Calgary Trail, Takami Sushi may be hard to find if you’re not looking for it. The parking space is huge but I can only imagine that this area will start to boom with businesses in the near future!

When you first enter you’ll notice more of an intimate dining experience but as you walk further in, space opens up. Big and wide windows all around with unique decor.

Takami specializes in fresh fish

(which is very rare being in Edmonton) so although they do have cooked options in their menu it’s not a wide range of items. However quality in the taste and presentation per dish makes up for it. And this is coming from someone who is very particular in choosing fish as an item of choice.

You can 100% tell the difference in the taste of frozen and fresh seafood. In fact, even their wasabi is freshly made whereas other Japanese restaurants are made from wasabi powder. I honestly could NOT taste the wasabi in the nigiri – I actually even forgot there was wasabi in them.

We were also lucky enough to be invited to watch the head sushi chef in creating Omakase Nigiri (Chef’s choice) in the back. Stay tuned for Myra’s YouTube video that will highlight this creation. I didn’t realize how artistic creating sushi was and to top it all off, it ended up being delicious of course!

Not only do they take care of their customers by making their stomachs happy but they also genuinely care about the customer’s experience. Everyone including the managers to the cooks was very attentive and welcoming everyone with big open smiles.

Straight from Japan to Edmonton, Takami Sushi is a must-go for all Sushi Lovers.

Takami Sushi
#108, 10430 61 Ave NW, Edmonton
Phone: 587-523-4695
takamisushiyeg@gmail.com | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter

• Reply Tasheena @SimplyTasheena.com

Everything looks so delicious and fresh! I would love to visit this restaurant.

August 14, 2017 at 7:36 PM
  • Reply Jane

I am not a raw fish person either, I just can’t stand it. But this right here looks so yummy 🙂 Great post as always, Glenny.

August 15, 2017 at 1:09 AM
  • Reply JM Kayne

Ohhh my!!! These food are mouth-watering! I love sushi a lot! For sure I’m gonna enjoy this, your photos captured it! (

God Bless!
    JM Kayne | #InMyHeart♥

August 15, 2017 at 2:02 AM
  • Reply TheFrugalCouponer

SO important that fish be fresh – and everything else, for that matter

August 15, 2017 at 5:44 AM
  • Reply Candy

I love Japanese restaurants that serve fresh wasabi! I had it for the first time not too long ago and it tastes so much better than the instant ones. That fish look so fresh and the presentation is gorgeous. I’m trying to figure out what is in the roll from the photo above. Is that fried quail egg?

August 15, 2017 at 6:34 AM
  • Reply Glitter On A Dime

This looks amazing and your pictures are beautiful!

August 15, 2017 at 6:45 AM
  • Reply nycgingeronthego

This looks so authentic and delicious. I love getting sushi with friends!

August 15, 2017 at 7:43 AM
  • Reply imthatamberlynn

I am usually not a fan of seafood of any sort, but especially not fish. However, I allowed my friend to talk me into trying sushi and it actually wasn’t bad. This dishes that you posted earlier looked pretty good. Plus, there’s nothing better than great customer service.

August 15, 2017 at 9:41 AM
  • Reply Candace (@kandiekanee)

I’m another person who can tell the difference between fresh and frozen seafood. Fresh is always the way to go for me! One thing I need to do is try sushi for the first time. I’m so late on that and it’s embarrassing! Takami Sushi sure seems like a good place to start!

August 15, 2017 at 10:55 AM
  • Reply Nay @ beautyaddictmama

This looks beautiful. What amazing presentation. Is it more expensive because the fish is imported from Japan?

August 15, 2017 at 12:34 PM
  • Reply Sheree

Wow! That sushi looks incredible! I’ve never been a fan of raw sushi either, but this post has definitely encouraged me to try it out.

~ xo Sheree
    PoshClassyMom.com

August 15, 2017 at 5:55 PM
  • Reply Shasha

Everything looks so delicious. I love eating sushi and its great that this place emphasizes that everything is fresh. I’d definitely try the oysters too.

August 15, 2017 at 7:56 PM
  • Reply Style&LifebySusana (@stylelifesusana)

As much as I love all things fish and seafood, I have never gotten up the courage to eat sushi. It all looks so good, I just have to jump at it and try!

August 15, 2017 at 8:14 PM
  • Reply Chrissy

I’ve been craving sushi since FOREVER, and after seeing this, I think the universe is trying to tell me something, haha. This looks like such a great place to eat sushi, too! <3 x

August 16, 2017 at 1:30 AM
  • Reply bloglikeacrazycat

Fantastic photos, the food looks so colorful! Delicious!

August 16, 2017 at 11:57 AM
  • Reply lmochoa488

I love sushi! It’s been awhile since I’ve eaten some and these pictures just made my mouth water so bad! Now I am craving it.

August 16, 2017 at 8:23 PM